Are you wondering whether to have Ethernet in your slip rings? What do you gain from using the slip rings? Before you go ahead and have the Ethernet on your devices, it would help if you know what its advantages are. Well, read along.
Since 1976, modern industrial environments have adopted the use of advanced slip rings. That is because there is a need to make the transmission easier, better, and cost-effective. One of the ways is by the use of Ethernet in slip rings. So, what are Ethernet slip rings, and what are the advantages of using them and their applications?
What is an Ethernet Slip Ring?
There are many types of slip rings. The difference in them depends on the composition. One example is the Ethernet slip ring. The Ethernet slip ring is a device that transmits data signals of different types from a rotary to a permanent structure. But how does it do that?
It works like any other slip ring. The difference is the Ethernet in it, which manufacturers prefer in the primary LAN technology. It offers a significant advantage of being robust and cost-efficient. Moreover, it provides broad support as a form of data communication. The slip rings are made of fiber material. Besides, they have insulation which makes them durable and suitable for 10/100/1000 ambit transmission.
Ethernet Slip Ring Applications
Where can you put these Ethernet slip rings to use? Many manufacturers, like you, find it convenient to use this device. All because of its compatibility and reduction of cross-talks. Nowadays, manufacturers prefer to use Ethernet slip rings in the following industrial processes:
- Automation technology
- Packaging machines in industries
- Capping machines
- Cable and hose reels
- Wind turbines
- Rotating working platform
- Military walkie-talkies and other communication devices
3 Reasons Why to Consider Ethernet in Your Slip Ring
In industrial settings, many machines and tools are communicating through industrial networks. Ethernet slip rings play a significant role in ensuring smooth communication. The following are the reasons you should use Ethernet in your slip rings:
While in the manufacturing process, you don’t want to have limitations on how you choose to operate. Unlike other signals, transmitting data needs leading technology to pass the right message. Having a device that allows you to use different signals every time from wherever you are is always a plus.
Ethernet slip rings come with convenience. It allows you to send data fast without losing it. Since the slip rings with Ethernet are of high quality, they are in use worldwide. It makes them applicable to various industrial tasks.
Infinite compatibility means:
- You can send more signals. So, it means that you can broadcast up to 8 Ethernet channels with no design change or addition of sensors. Convenient, right?
- You can transfer analog and digital signals. Ethernet signal compatibility means that it is not limited to one signal type. Moreover, it can also convert analog into digital signals. That explains why the slip rings are in use in CAT-5 and CAT-6 network environments.
- You can mix both electricity and signals in one channel. There is no need for many channels. It integrates signals, power, and frequency into one unit to lower the height and save installation space.
- The slip rings are trusted globally with no limitations
- It also means that you can pass all communication protocols as fast as possible. You can do it with precision, without losing any data.
Any mix-up or loss of data can lead to miscommunication. For industries relying on slip ring devices to communicate, you need to use a slip ring that reduces signal loss and distortion. The Ethernet slip rings reduce cross-talk in two ways.
The brushes in the slip ring assembly contain advanced fiber material that reduces corrosion. As a result, it also reduces the vibration caused due to corrosion, which can further lead to the mix-up. Also, the use of good insulators to insulate conductive rings and brushes holds them from brushing each other. Thus, it eliminates the chances of cross-talks. When cross-talk does not happen, it says:
- There is no mix-up of signals
- Reduces loss of data
- No corrosion, thus, low maintenance fee
- Reduction in maintenance cost
Manufacturers look forward to having a low-cost production. That is why you must take measures to make sure every device you use has a minimal maintenance fee. Also, make sure it lasts for long. The use of an Ethernet slip ring makes your production cost go down.
As a result, your profit margin becomes notable. The following points show how the Ethernet slip ring reduces the expense:
- The brushes are of high quality, especially fiber material, which makes them durable. The use of insulators to isolate the brushes and conductors lessens corrosion and vibrations. That reduces the maintenance cost as the slip ring lasts for longer.
- There is no need for a change of design to add more equipment and sensors. Also, the Ethernet slip ring is fast, efficient, and also lowers the loss of data.
- An ethernet slip ring is not for certain types of signals. Thus, it does not limit you to the amount of data you can send in one sensor. That reduces cost, especially if you are transmitting many signals.
- There is no risk of displacement of conductive rings. That is because the conductive rings have grooves that hold the brushes in the conductive rings in place. So, it means that there is no risk of damage due to vibrations. As a result, it lowers maintenance costs.
- When the transmission of data is fast and accurate, with no mix-ups, then the production goes smoothly. Hence, there are fewer complaints and failures of machines and devices.
Many manufacturers are using Ethernet for communication between machines and devices. That is because the Ethernet slip rings consist of durable material. Moreover, it has insulation that reduces corrosion, maintenance costs, and cross-talk.
The fact that it has infinite compatibility makes it suitable to send any signal from anywhere. That gives you three solid reasons to consider Ethernet in your slip rings.