The fiber optic rotary joint (FORJ) is also called the fiber optic slip ring. Optic rotary joints FORJ help to transmit optical communication, like electrical slip rings are used to transmit electrical power and signals. FORJ provides a connection for uninterrupted transmission of optical signals across rotating interfaces. It is especially good for high speed data transfer on many applications. The key parameters are Insertion Loss, Insertion Loss Variation, and Return Loss.
Fiber Optic Rotary Joints - CHG Series
Available for Custom, Can Combine with Electrical Slip Rings
Single or Multi-Channel
FORJs are available for single and multi-channel. Single channel FORJs allow single fiber in a system to carry large digital information. If more than two fibers are needed, GRAND offers a coaxial technology to make a reasonable cost solution.
Singlemode or Multimode
Singlemode fibers have a small numerical aperture and core size with a standard design to work at 1,310-1,550 nm wavelengths. Generally, 0.5-1.0 dB insertion loss is acceptable. The bandwidth capacity is larger than the multimode since the optical beam is maintained in its purest form.
Multimode fibers have large numerical apertures and core sizes with a standard design to work at 850-1,300 nm wavelengths and transmit multi-optical beams from VCSELs and LEDs. Multimode fibers are mainly used for short distances since they have higher attenuation and dispersion. However, single-mode systems are more costly than multimode systems.
GRAND company is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of high-performance fiber optic rotary joints. Optical slip ring parts are machined on precision machinery and optical slip ring assembly is manufactured in a dustless workshop. The housing is made of stainless steel, dustproof and waterproof, reaches IP68 protection grade, and avoids being influenced by humidity, heat, magnetism, or other typical disturbances.
Although GRAND offers modularized & standardized designs for various application solutions as an original slip ring manufacturer. To create your most suitable fiber optic rotary joint connector, please feel free to contact us.
◆ Large data transmission capacity and high transmission rate
◆ Long-distance transmission
◆ No leaks, no electromagnetic interference
◆ Compact design and light weight
◆ Suitable for harsh conditions
◆ Long life span
◆ No. of channels
◆ Single mode or Multi mode
◆ Connector (FC, ST, SC and LC)
◆ Length of pigtail
◆ Protection level (dust and water)
◆ Available combine with electrical slip ring
Fiber Optic Rotary Joint Application
Due to their ability to ensure an uninterrupted transmission of light signals amidst rotational movement, FORJs find their use across a spectrum of applications, in industries ranging from telecommunications, military, and medical to aerospace.
- Telecommunications: FORJs are crucial in managing fiber optic signals in rotating antennae used in satellite communication systems. These antennae need to continually track communication satellites, requiring uninterrupted 360-degree rotation. FORJs in this case ensure a seamless signal flow.
- Defense and Military: In radar systems, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), and other advanced military systems, FORJs ensure reliable and high-performing data transmission. Their robustness against harsh environmental conditions makes them a critical component in these sensitive areas.
- Medical: FORJs are used in a variety of medical systems, including computer tomography (CT) machines, endoscopes, optical coherence tomography (OCT), and other medical imaging technologies. Their ability to provide stable signal transmission under rotation is essential for capturing precise medical images.
- Aerospace: FORJs are used in various spacecraft systems and instruments. They may be used in satellite communications, optical sensor systems, solar panel deployments, and more. Their ability to continuously transmit optical signals despite rotational movements is crucial for the operation of these systems.
- Wind Energy: In wind turbines, FORJs are utilized to transmit data and signals from the nacelle to the control system, despite the regular rotation of the turbine blades. This aids in monitoring and optimizing the wind turbine’s performance.
- Underwater Systems: FORJs deliver reliable performance in applications like remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), underwater communication systems, and more. They provide efficient data connection between static and rotating parts, enabling control and data collection in challenging environments.
Through exploring the wide-ranging applications of Fiber Optic Rotary Joints, one can appreciate the scale of their impact across various domains. This versatile device proves its value by ensuring a steady flow of vital communication signals, irrespective of the rotational movement in the operational environment.
Fiber Optic Rotary Joint Advantages
The benefits offered by FORJs are manifold. Here are some of the key advantages that highlight the reasons behind their broad applicability and preference:
- Uninterrupted Light Signal Transmission: The primary advantage of FORJs is their ability to transmit optical signals without disruption, even while rotating. This has revolutionized various applications by eliminating the need to stop and start rotation for data transmission.
- Wide Bandwidth: FORJs can support a broad range of wavebands and offer a high data capacity, making them suitable for applications that require the transmission of large amounts of data.
- No Electrical Interference: Given their optical nature, FORJs are immune to electromagnetic interference. Furthermore, they do not introduce any electrical noise into the system, enhancing the quality of transmitted signals.
- High Reliability & Long Life Cycle: Built to withstand substantial environmental pressures and repeated use, FORJs are exceptionally reliable and long-lasting. This leads to substantial cost savings over the long run in terms of maintenance and replacement.
- Compact & Lightweight: FORJs are designed to be compact and lightweight, which allows for their integration in systems where space and weight are limiting factors.
- Variety of Applications: Their unique characteristics make them relevant in a wide range of industries including telecommunications, military, medical imaging, and renewable energy, among others.
These benefits showcase the inherent advantages of Fiber Optic Rotary Joints and explain their widespread acceptance across diverse domains. By facilitating the seamless transmission of light signals in rotational applications, they enhance system efficiencies, improve signal quality, and contribute significantly to the evolution of these sectors.